Central Highlands Regional Council’s budget delivers a combined $27.5 million dollars towards sportsgrounds and facilities, and parks and recreation areas.
Mayor Kerry Hayes said the package displays council’s commitment to creating strong and vibrant communities.
‘There is a significant focus on park and playground renewals with six playgrounds being targeted for improvements across the region,’ he said.
‘Skate parks also receive attention with a new shade structure for the Emerald Skate Park, funding allocated to upgrades in Springsure and the first phase of a new skate park in Blackwater with funding for the design works.
‘Numerous sportsground renewals and improvements are scheduled throughout the region including surface and irrigation upgrades in the Sapphire Gemfields, Blackwater and Emerald.
‘Works in the Emerald Botanic Gardens have been welcomed and we’ll see these works continue also.’
2018 – 2019 budget overview for building strong vibrant communities:
- Over the forward estimate Central Highlands Regional Council will allocate $32 million to maintain facilities and services and complete capital works relevant to build strong and vibrant communities, that is 14% of the total forward budget.
- Community recreation and facilities alone receive a capital budget of over $7 million.
- Parks and recreation areas have been allocated $12.2 million in maintenance and capital works.
- Community development will be boosted by a $2.8 million budget and libraries will see ongoing improvement and modernisation with a budget allocation of $1.3 million.
- Sportsgrounds and facilities will receive a boost of $1.6 million for increased maintenance and refurbishment.