Soil erosion, sediment and litter from building sites can be a major source of stormwater pollution and can cause:
- Significant harm to the river system and surrounding tributaries environment.
- Weed infestation of waterways by sediment settling on the river bed and transporting nutrients.
- Loss of valuable top soil and significant public safety problems with sediment washed onto roads and intersections.
- Blocked drains creating flooding and increased maintenance cost.
- The potential to affect recreation and fishing in the local waterways.