You are here Home Building, planning & projects Our roads Road corridors

Road corridors

Council is responsible for the local roads in our region. A road corridor is any part of the road or the roadside on made roads.

A road reserve is any part of the road or the roadside on made or unmade roads. That is, a parcel of land could be a road reserve whether it is an existing road, or one just marked for the future.

The primary purpose of corridor management is to permit conditional use of these areas, while ensuring a safe and efficient road network. We also manage road use permits and street lighting requests.

The Department of Transport and Main Roads is responsible for all state controlled roads. For a full list of state controlled roads, visit their website.

For further information on the matters listed below, contact council’s Technical Officer Corridor Management on 1300 242 686.

  • Application for vehicular access - driveway and/or crossover

    If you are building, altering or repairing vehicle access from your property to the road, across the footpath/kerb/road reserve, you need to obtain approval from council as council needs to ensure the works are to the correct specifications.

    The construction and maintenance of the driveway or crossover is the responsibility of the owner of the property to which it provides access, even though it is outside the property.

    Please complete the application form and send it to council and arrange payment of the fees.

    There are different fees for residential/rural and commercial access applications.

    Divisions 7 and 8 of the Queensland Building and Construction Commission Act 1991 require builders (including owner-builders) to hold an appropriate current builder’s licence for concrete builds. If the driveway build will include concrete, your application cannot be processed until the builder and licence information has been provided.

    Council will process the application form and, if approved, provide standard drawings and conditions for the works.

    Inspections are required pre and post construction.

    If you wish to remove your vehicle access, then you need to obtain approval from council using the Application to carry out works in a road reserve.

  • Carry out works in a road reserve

    There may be times you wish to apply to council to carry out works in the road reserve. Some examples are:

    • Installing roof water drainage
    • Installing a water pipeline
    • Installing a monument
    • Maintenance permits
    • Low impact works (seismic survey or drilling activity)
    • Any other private works associated with a road reserve.

    Complete the application form and send the form and payment (if required) to council for processing at least 30 days prior to commencement of the works.

    Council will consider the request and advise you of the outcome of the application.

  • Compensation agreement for mining claims that include road reserves

    If your mining claim application or renewal includes a road reserve, you must submit the pro forma compensation agreement to council for approval, together with a map showing the location of the claim.

    Refer to A guide to landholder compensation for mining claims and related access land in Queensland, published by the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy.

    Council will review the document and advise conditions regarding the road reserve.

  • Erection of election signage

    You must apply for approval to erect election signs in council-controlled road corridors or areas.

    Find out more here.

  • Gates & grids

    Council is responsible for the control, care and management of approximately 5000km of roads throughout the region

    However, when it comes to approved gates and grids on council’s rural road network, the responsibility for installation and ongoing maintenance shifts to the landholder.

    Please refer to the fact sheet for information regarding your responsibilities when installing a grid and gate, or just gate, on CHRC controlled roads.

    If you wish to proceed with an application, please complete the form and lodge it with council. We will be in contact regarding payment of fees and any additional information that may be needed.

  • Land access & authority notices

    If you require access to road reserves to carry out works on behalf of utility companies or Aurizon, a notice for land access and authority must be made with council.

    Your notice must include a brief description of the works, supported by plans, the proposed date of the works and, if required, traffic management plans.

    Council will consider the request and advise if any roadworks are scheduled for the proposed period and any conditions for the works.

  • National heavy vehicle regulator requests

    Permit requests are initiated through the portal on the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator website.

    Council assesses the requests in its role as road manager for local government controlled roads.

    You must make a request for clearance authority letters in writing to council. You must include details of vehicles and routes so that council can consider road corridor impacts.

  • Road use direction

    Where undertaking a notifiable road use, in accordance with the Mineral and Energy Resources (Common Provisions) Act 2014, you must forward your notification to council for processing.

    The notice must be in accordance with Division 2 of the Act.

    Council will respond to the notice advising of any conditions of use.

  • Streetscapes and footpaths

    The footpath is, and will mostly remain public land. However, there is a great Australian tradition that sees our residents taking care of the footpath adjoining their property. We support this approach and encourage all residents to improve and maintain their footpaths.


    Find out more here

  • Street lights

    Council aims to develop a well-planned and affordable street lighting system for its communities.

    Council pays monthly street lighting electricity accounts to Ergon Energy, as Ergon Energy currently owns and maintains the majority of street lights installed throughout the Central Highlands region.

    Reporting a faulty street light

    Did you know that you can directly report faulty street lights to Ergon Energy? Simply click on Ergon Energy’s self-service portal and fill in the required information.

    Request for new street lights

    Council will consider resident’s requests for additional street lights on local controlled roads.

    Please contact council regarding your request and advising the address of where you would like the street light installed.

    New installations are prioritised based on road user volumes and are subject to council’s funding availability.

    In some situations, nearby residents will be consulted to identify if the additional street lighting is desired.

    If council approves the request, we will notify you and will apply to Ergon Energy on your behalf.

    Time frames include the design and approval of the lights, and we will keep you notified throughout the process.

    You should direct any requests for new street lights on state-controlled roads to the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

  • Road corridor - Temporary road closure applications

    You may wish to apply to council for the temporary closure of a road to undertake works or hold a community event, school activity, etc. If so, please complete the application form and send the form and payment to council for processing at least 30 days prior to date of closure.

    If your application is in relation to a community event, and you wish to apply for in kind support in accordance with council’s Community Donations Policy, please indicate this on the application form. Please note that the in kind support does not extend to traffic management plans (also known as traffic guidance schemes), and the applicant must provide a copy to council prior to the date of closure.

    Council will consider and advise you of the outcome of the application.

  • Road corridor - Road inspection

    If you wish council to conduct an inspection on infrastructure within the road corridor, please complete and lodge the application for road inspection. Council will contact you with any further information it may require to carry out the inspection.

  • Application to permanently close a road or road reserve

    You may wish to apply for the permanent closure of a road or road reserve with the State Land Asset Management (SLAM) of the Department of Resources. Click here for more information.

    Council will be requested either by yourself or SLAM to advise if it approves the permanent closure. As part of its review, council will consider:

    • Does the adjacent property owner have sufficient boundary with the road to comply with the requirements of the Land Act?

    • Is the road reserve part of a stock route?

    • Is there a permit to occupy over the road reserve? If yes, is the applicant the same person / company as the holder of the permit to occupy?

    • Does the closure impact any adjoining property holders?

    • Do adjoining properties have alternate access arrangements?

    A report will be submitted to council’s General Meeting requesting a decision on the application. Please note that, generally, council will not endorse any permanent road closures within urban zoned areas.

  • Permit to occupy associated with secondary use of state land

    Permits to occupy are managed by the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy. The policy and forms are on DNRME’s website.

    If you are applying for a permit to occupy associated with a secondary use of state land, such as a reserve or a road, you must first discuss the application with council in its capacity as trustee of the reserve or road manager to determine authorisation of use. For this to occur, please forward your draft application to council, together with a map highlighting the area, so that we may start conducting our review. If supported, council will sign Part C and return it to you so you may lodge the application with the DNRME.

    The DNRME ultimately assesses the application and notifies you of its decision.

  • Traffic Management Plan / Traffic Guidance Scheme

    Council’s approvals for applications for road corridors will require a traffic management plan and/or traffic guidance scheme is required for all made roads.  Also, if an unmade road is being used by traffic, a TMP/TGS may also be required.  Please refer to the fact sheet for more information.

  • Urban and Rural Addressing

    Addresses are allocated in accordance with the Australian Standard for rural and urban addressing (ASNZS_4819_2011) and council’s Urban and Rural Addressing Policy #0071. Council’s Corridor Management Team administers the allocation of addresses for urban and rural properties.

    Customers may contact council requesting allocation or amendment to urban or rural addressing.  If you wish, you may complete and lodge an application for address.  Officers will review the addressing principles and allocate a relevant address. Please note that council does not charge a fee for processing addressing applications.

    Further information has been collated in relation to rural addresses, particularly in relation to emergency preparation.  Please refer to council’s fact sheet here.

Emergency Management Dashboard

Up-to-date weather, road closure and disaster information.