You are here Home Community support Pets & animals Livestock


  • In the urban area

    Never allowed in an urban area:

    • roosters
    • pigs
    • stallions
    • bulls
    • emus, ostriches or peacocks
    • pea hen, guinea fowl or pheasant

    Permit required to be kept in an urban area:

    • more than 2 dogs
    • more than 2 cats
    • horse
    • cow
    • sheep
    • goat
    • birds
    • chickens
      • Under 350 square metre block: Not allowed
      • Over 350 square metre block: Up to five hens
      • Over 500 square metre block: Up to 10 hens
      • Hen house needs to be 2 metres from all boundary fences and 10 metres from neighbours’ houses.

    Please refer to councils’ Subordinate Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2012 for more information.

  • Applying for a livestock permit

    Complete the relevant form below and return to your local council office.

  • Stray livestock

    If stray livestock are on a public road, you can contact council on 1300 242 686 or the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 13 19 40.

    Animals may be impounded by a council ranger and a fine may be imposed.

    If stray livestock are located on a private property it is a civil matter and council has no powers to get involved.  However, you can contact Biosecurity Queensland on 13 25 23 for assistance.

Emergency Management Dashboard

Up-to-date weather, road closure and disaster information.