Central Highlands Regional Council (CHRC) offers a free pre-lodgement advice service aimed at providing potential applicants with the opportunity to obtain written advice from planning officers or alternatively to meet with planning officers regarding their proposal. This service will identify and discuss the proposal, identify any key matters, and gain an understanding of the required development application process.
Applicants (whether they are mums and dads or consultants) often request advice on whether a particular proposal is likely to be successful. Whilst the officers will not be able to guarantee approval, this service will enable the Development and Planning Team to provide advice on individual aspects of a proposal.
The service will be able to identify improvements if needed to a proposal prior to lodging a development application and can assist customers by providing advice based on the information provided which can save time and money by providing detailed information relating to the proposed development.
Whilst the outcome of a development application cannot be guaranteed, it is more likely to succeed if it is well prepared, aligns with the region’s planning scheme and properly addresses and responds to relevant issues identified at pre-lodgement stage. This should also ensure the quicker delivery of decisions, time and cost savings and higher quality developments.
Prior to seeking pre-lodgement advice
Council has a range of online tools and information that may help inform an applicant’s consideration of a proposal prior to seeking written advice or attending a meeting. Any applicant is encouraged to visit council’s website and/or look through the various tools available online. Some important links include:
- Central Highlands Regional Council Planning Scheme
- Council’s planning scheme is available online and is web-based. You can search for specific properties and access information such as zoning and overlays and also access the relevant planning scheme provisions – to access the planning scheme please visit – Central Highlands Regional Council Planning Scheme 2016 (chrc.qld.gov.au)
- Central Highlands Regional Council Flood Portal
- Information regarding council’s flood mapping can be accessed via council’s Flood Portal. This information includes mapping showing outputs from flood modelling completed across the region. To access council’s flood portal please visit – Central Highlands Regional Council Flood Portal (chrc.qld.gov.au)
If your enquiry is general in nature feel free to email the Development and Planning team at firstname.lastname@example.org. One of our officers will be able to respond and provide guidance as to whether written advice or a meeting would be necessary.
What do I need to provide to submit a pre-lodgement advice request?
Council has created an online request form that requires customers to provide information relating to the proposed development including:
- Property address
- Type of development proposed
- Proposed development details including a schematic layout
- Key matters for consideration
Customers are also required to attach relevant documents such as site plans, floor plans, elevations (does not have to be formal plans, can be hand-drawn). The greater level of detail submitted by customers will enable planning officers to provide more detailed planning advice on their proposals. The officers will review the information provided and provide this to the customer in the form of writing or via a meeting as requested. If a Meeting is selected, written advice will also be issued including any specific details and matters recorded at the meeting. This written advice is provided within 7 days if no meeting is required or 2 days after the meeting has been held.