You are here Home Water, waste & land use Stock routes

Stock routes

Stock routes

The Queensland stock route network is used for moving stock on foot, pasture for emergency agistment and long-term grazing.  It covers about 72,000 km and 48 local government areas.

The network is also valued for comprising native flora and fauna and remnant vegetation and Indigenous and non-Indigenous cultural heritage. Stock routes also contain major infrastructure for the transport of water, power and for communication.

To use the network, you need permits for:

  • Travelling stock on foot
  • Grazing (agistment) of stock
  • Using water facilities

Where are designated stock routes?

Find out what areas are covered by the Queensland stock route network via the online mapping portal Queensland Globe.

Further to the network, Central Highlands Regional Council can designate any public road under its control to be a stock route.

This might happen when the stock route network is exhausted or pasture, water and road conditions require spelling of the network.

Who manages stock routes?

Management of the stock route network is shared between Central Highlands Regional Council and the Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy.

The Central Highlands Regional Council Stock Route Management Plan helps council to carry out management and maintenance of the stock route network.

Local governments are responsible for: The Queensland Government is responsible for:
  • day-to-day administration and management
  • some network maintenance
  • providing policy and legislative advice
  • operational guidelines
  • compliance support
  • reviewing decision
  • managing asset maintenance
  • training local government stock route officers

All of the above are a requirement for council under the Stock Route Management Act 2002

As a landholder, what do I need to know about stock routes?

Landholders must make fences stock proof, if they adjoin a stock route that is part of the network.

As a road user, what do I need to know about stock routes?

Road users must give way to cattle, it is an offence to obstruct cattle or make noise to alarm stock.

As a drover, what do I need to know about stock routes?

Drovers must comply with the conditions set out by their permit.

Drovers must notify landholders of the intent of entry 48 hours prior, should their stock route or reserve be on private land.

Where can I find more information?

More information about using stock routes, permits and the legislation can be found on the Queensland Government’s website.

Printable fact sheets: Stock routes and Droving on stock routes



Emergency Management Dashboard

Up-to-date weather, road closure and disaster information.